[ezcol_1third][/ezcol_1third]Here’s another way you can add some color and flavor to rice. In addition to being flavorful, this recipe includes black beans that add a little extra protein. The dish is gluten-free, vegan and ideal for meal prep. Try it with our MBMK style steamed broccoli.[ezcol_2third_end][/ezcol_2third_end]
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 45 minutes | Yield: Serves 5
1 Cup Brown Rice
1 Cup Black Beans, cooked and drained*
1 Cup Carrots, chopped
1/2 Cup Yellow Onions, chopped
1 Tbsp Garlic, minced
1 Tsp Coconut or Olive Oil
1 Tsp Honey
1/8 Tsp Cinnamon
1/4 Tsp Cumin
1/4 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
2 Sprigs of Thyme
Salt & Black Pepper to taste
1. Bring water to boil, then add rice. When water begins to boil again, reduce heat to a simmer and cover.
2. Cook covered for 40-45 minutes until rice is tender; stir once after about 20 mins.
3. While rice is cooking, heat oil in large skillet on medium heat; sautee carrots for about 5 minutes until soft.
4. Add onions and garlic to carrots in skillet and cook for 5 minutes until onions are translucent.
5. Stir in drained black beans, thyme, cumin, cinnamon, red pepper flakes and honey; cook for about 2 minutes.
6. Add cooked rice to vegetables and mix well.
7. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
* If using canned black beans, lightly rinse and drain beans before adding them to the rice.
Nutrition per serving: 119 Cals; 22g Carb; 2g Fat; 5g Protein