[ezcol_1third][/ezcol_1third] [ezcol_2third_end]This recipe is one of our favorites here at MBMK. A yummy, creole dish made with brown rice, ground turkey, spices and vegetables. Great way to add vegetables to kids’ meals. Enjoy it by itself or with any of our vegetable recipes. This dish is gluten free. [/ezcol_2third_end]
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 50 minutes | Yield: Serves 5
2 1/2 Cups Water
1 1/4 Cups Brown Rice
1 lb 93/7 Ground Turkey
1 Cup Red Bell Peppers, chopped
1 Cup Yellow Bell Pepper, chopped
1/2 Cup Green Onions, chopped
1/2 Cup Red Onions, chopped
1/2 Cup Cilantro, chopped
2 Tbsp Garlic, finely chopped
1 Tbsp Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
1/2 to 1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/2 Tsp Chili Powder
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Cumin
3-4 Sprigs of fresh thyme
Salt, Black Pepper to taste
1. Bring water to boil, then add rice. When water begins to boil again, reduce heat to a simmer and cover.
2. Cook covered for 40-50 minutes until rice is tender; stir once after about 20 mins.
3. While rice is cooking, heat oil in large skillet on medium heat; sautee garlic, green and red onions for about 2 minutes. Add ground turkey, season with a little salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes until turkey is fully cooked and brown; stir frequently and continuously break large chunks of turkey into smaller pieces.
4. Stir in bell peppers, pepper flakes, spices and thyme.
5. Add cooked rice and cilantro to turkey mixture and mix well.
6. Add salt pepper to taste.
Nutrition per serving: 336 Cals; 37g Carb; 12g Fat; 20g Protein
Nutrition calculated using the MyFitnessPal Recipe Importer[/ezcol_2third_end]
Image courtesy Robyn Burgess (runawayapricot.com).