Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 50 minutes | Inactive: +2 hours | Yield: Serves 6 | Serving Size: ~1.5 Cups
1.5 lbs Chicken Legs, skin removed & cut in half
1 Cup Brown Rice*
1 Cup Red Bell Pepper, diced
1 Cup Celery, diced
1 Cup Carrots, diced
1 Cup Yellow Onions, diced
1 Cup of Water or Broth
1/2 Cup Light (Reduced-Fat) Coconut Milk
4 Cloves of Garlic, minced
2 Cups Pigeon Peas, cooked (about 1 16-Oz can)
2 Tbsp Green Seasoning** or you favorite poultry seasoning
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
2-3 Sprigs Thyme
1 Stalk of Green Onion, chopped (optional)
1 Whole Scotch Bonnet Pepper
Salt, Black Pepper & Cayenne Pepper to taste
1. In a bowl, combine chicken pieces, green seasoning (or your favorite poultry seasoning), salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Marinate chicken for at least 2 hours or overnight.
2. In a dutch oven or heavy-bottom pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar; cook sugar-oil mixture until sugar begins to bubble and darken to a deep rich brown (not black). Be sure to keep a close eye on the pot and stir occasionally.
3. Immediately add marinated chicken; stir the chicken to evenly coated with the brown color. Let the chicken “brown” (simmer in the brown mixture) for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add brown rice; stir and cook for about 3 minutes. Add vegetables excluding whole pepper (thyme, bell peppers, celery, onions, garlic and carrots) and pigeon peas; cook for about 3 minutes.
5. Stir in coconut milk and water; add scotch bonnet pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cook covered for 45-50 minutes; stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper if desired.
6. Garnish dish with green onions. Serve warm.
*You can also try using Quinoa in place of the brown rice
**Check the International/Caribbean section of your supermarket for Green Seasoning or consider making your own green seasoning at home. Green seasoning is marinade made of a pureed herbs and typically includes thyme, garlic, celery, flavoring peppers, cilantro/culantro and Spanish Thyme (Cuban Oregano).
Nutrition per 1-Chicken Leg serving : 458 Cals; 82g Carb; 15g Fat; 34g Protein
Nutrition calculated using the MyFitnessPal Recipe Importer