Do you remember my sautéed red cabbage and carrots dish? Someone pointed out that he makes a similar dish but also includes mustard seeds. So, I thought why not try it in another side dish, like this charred kale recipe.
Mustard seeds are from the mustard plant and come in different number varieties. Of the varieties, the black mustard seeds are the most pungent and are a common ingredient in Indian cuisine. Check out this Spruce Eats post to learn more about mustard seeds.
This charred kale dish is very simple and will be a great addition to your weeknight dinner or meal prep menu. Try it out and let me know what you think.
Charred Kale with Mustard Seeds
An easy kale dish packed with a ton flavor with mustards, lemon and garlic
- 2 Lbs Kale
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil divided
- 1/2 Lemon
- Salt, Black Pepper & Red Pepper Flakes to taste
- Remove stems and ribs from kale. Slice into strips.
- Heat a portion of the oil over medium-high heat in a skillet. Add mustard seeds; wait until mustard seeds start popping then add shallots and garlic. Stir for about 1 minute.
- Working in batches, add kale and stir every 3 to 5 minutes so that kale gets a decent char. Continue cooking and stirring until all the kale is wilted and charred. Remove kale from the skillet and place in a bowl. Add more oil to the skillet and another batch of kale; repeat process.
- Season with lemon juice, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
Nutrition Info per serving: 174 Cals, 10g Fat, 19g Carbs, 4g Dietary Fiber, 6g Protein