The ketogenic (keto) diet is a low-carb, high-fat diet that has been used to address various health problems including weight loss and epilepsy. Many followers of the ketogenic diet consume about 60% to 80% of their calories from fats, 15% to 30% from proteins and 0% to 10% from carbohydrates. The following food list compiled using information from Diet Doctor, Ruled.Me and PerfectKeto.
Fats and Oils
- Saturated Fats: Animal Fat (non-hydrogenated), lard, tallow, butter, ghee and coconut oil, coconut butter, mayonnaise, MCT oil and egg yolks
- Monounsaturated Fats: olive, avocado, and macadamia nut oils.
- Polyunsaturated Fats: Fatty acids omega-3s (from fish) and omega-6s (plant-based)
- Fish (preferably wild caught): catfish, cod, flounder, halibut, mackerel, mahi-mahi, salmon, snapper, trout, and tuna
- Shellfish: Clams, oysters, lobster, crab, scallops, mussels, and squid.
- Whole Eggs
- Beef (preferably fattier cuts): Ground beef, steak, roasts, and stew meat
- Pork (preferably fattier cuts): Ground pork, pork loin, pork chops, tenderloin, and ham
- Poultry: Chicken, duck, quail, pheasant and turkey
- Offal/Organ: Heart, liver, kidney, and tongue
- Other Meats (preferably fattier cuts): veal, goat, lamb and other wild game
- Bacon and Sausage (avoid products with added sugar or extra fillers)
- Nut Butters (unsweetened): Almond butter and macadamia nut butter
Vegetables and Fruit (Carbohydrates)
Fruits and root vegetables are high in carbohydrates and therefore should be avoided or consumed in limited amounts.
- Vegetables (leafy greens): kale, spinach, swiss chard, bok choy, lettuce, radicchio, brussels sprouts, broccoli
- Other vegetables (low-carb & non-starchy): onions, bell peppers, asparagus, kohlrabi, celery, cucumber, zucchini and cauliflower
- Berries: strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cherries, cranberries and mulberries
- Greek yogurt
- Heavy whipping cream
- Spreadables (cottage cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, mascarpone, creme fraiche, etc.)
- Soft Cheeses (mozzarella, brie, blue, colby, monterey jack, etc.)
- Hard Cheeses (aged cheddar, parmesan, feta, swiss, etc.)
- Monk fruit