A few months ago I tried my hand at making a low carb dinner roll made with almond flour. It did not turn out how I would have liked, so I never shared it with you all. But I never stopped searching for ways to make this idea work. Just recently, however, I came across a low carb pizza dough that I wanted to share with you. It’s one of the many low carb recipes available on the Atkins Party Planner Skill for Amazon Alexa.
After discovering the original recipe on the Atkins Party Planner I did make a few tweaks to it while testing it out on a garlic tomato mozzarella pizza recipe. I’ll tell you more about the pizza crust recipe later.
Why Low Carb?
There are numerous approaches to living a healthy lifestyle, and at the end of the day, it is important to choose a lifestyle that is sustainable and aligns with your fitness goals. In one of my previous blog posts, I discuss the “hidden sugar effect,” when carbohydrates convert to sugar when digested. Being knowledgeable of this effect can inform your decisions around food.
Does a low carb lifestyle mean that you can eat as much as you want? Nope! When done correctly, it incorporates vegetables, fruits, legumes and protein sources that will keep you satiated and provide sufficient micronutrients.
Planning Your Next Party
This recipe is a modified version of the one available on the Atkins Party Planner. I came across it when looking into the Atkins Party Planner Skill for Amazon Alexa. Alexa is a cloud-based voice service from Amazon. Using Alexa is as simple as asking a question—just ask, and Alexa will respond instantly.
There are several low carb friendly recipes on the Atkins Party Planner Skill for Amazon Alexa that any host would be happy to share on game day. Here’s how you can access the Atkins Party Planner Skill for Amazon Alexa:
- Go to your Alexa device or download the Amazon Alexa app to your Apple or Android smartphone
- Enable the Alexa skill by saying, “Alexa, enable Atkins Party Planner!” or by clicking here
- Once you’ve enabled the skill, say “Alexa, open Atkins Party Planner” to continue getting delicious recipes
- You can also enable the skill through the Alexa Skills store on the Amazon website or through the Amazon Alexa app by searching for Atkins Party Planner.
Try this pizza crust recipe and let me know what you think. I topped mine with a sliced tomato, minced garlic, fresh basil and mozzarella.
Prep Time: 10 mins . Cook Time: 22 mins . Serves: 8
1 Large Egg
3 Tbsp Water
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 1/2 cups Blanched Almond Flour
1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese (Grated)
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
1/4 Tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Toppings of your choice
1 Sliced Tomato
1 Cup Fresh basil
4 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Cup Mozzarella, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Whisk together the wet ingredients (egg, water, vinegar, and oil) in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. Add all the dry ingredients (almond flour through red pepper) to a medium bowl. Mix until the ingredients are evenly distributed and any lumps in the flour or cheese are broken up. Add the wet ingredients and stir to form a thick dough.
4. Prepare a pizza pan or sheet pan with greased parchment paper. Using wet fingers, press the dough into a roughly 12-inch diameter, ¼-inch thick round on the parchment paper.
5. Prebake the low carb pizza crust without any toppings for 20 minutes, until lightly golden and crisp around the edges.
6. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before layering desired toppings. Place back in the oven for a few minutes to warm the toppings and melt the cheese. Makes 8 slices.