This recipe was born out of a desire to hone my fish filleting skills; I have a lot of progress to make. Haha! I decided to use red snapper because while working on the sesame crusted tuna recipe, I learned that snapper is one of the safer fish when it comes to mercury contamination. Check out the infographic below.
Red snapper is an excellent source of protein and is low in saturated fat. 4 ounces of red snapper gives you 113 Calories, with the majority of those calories coming from the 23 grams of protein.
Let’s cook! Try this recipe and let me know what you think.
Prep Time: 10 minutes . Cook Time: 2-3 minutes . Yield: Serves 4
Pan Seared Snapper Ingredients
4 4-Oz Red Snapper Fillets (skin on or off)
4 Cloves of Garlic, crushed
4 Sprigs Thyme
1/4 Tsp Curry Powder
1/4 Tsp Chipotle Powder
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Mango Salsa Ingredients
1 Ripe Large Mango, chopped
1 Jalapeno Pepper, finely chopped
1 Tomato, chopped
1/2 Cup Red Onion, finely chopped
1/4 Cup Cilantro, finely chopped
Juice from 1 to 2 Limes
In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients for the mango salsa. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Pan Seared Red Snapper
Note: If you’ll be keeping the skin on your fish, refrigerate the fillets (skin up) uncovered for about hour to dry the skin.
1. If you are cooking the fillets with skin on, lightly score skin with a sharp knife.
2. Season both sides of fillets with curry powder, chipotle powder, salt and black pepper.
3. In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add thyme and garlic; cook until garlic is medium to dark brown.
4. Add fillets (skin side down first) to skillet; use a spoon or spatula to press filet for about 15-30 seconds to prevent it from curling. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes per side until cooked through and golden brown. You may have to do this step in batches depending on the size of your skillet and fillets.
5. Remove fillets from skillet; serve warm with mango salsa.
Snapper Fillet Nutrition per 4-Oz Serving: 139 Cals; 1g Carb; 4g Fat; 24g Protein; 1g Dietary Fiber
Mango Salsa Nutrition per 1/4 Cup Serving: 35 Cals; 8g Carb; 0g Fat; 1g Protein; 1g Dietary Fiber
Nutrition calculated using the MyFitnessPal Recipe Importer