Sometimes making a tasty satisfying breakfast every morning is almost impossible because of my work schedule. I remember one summer when I had to get to work at 7AM, I got into the habit of buying breakfast every day on my way to work. I would usually get one egg and sausage (no cheese) sandwich at a certain fast food chain.
What attracted me to the sandwich was the relatively high protein content. However, after about two weeks into my habit I stopped buying that sandwich for two reasons:
- Although the sandwich had approximately 500 calories (which was not bad given my fitness routine and daily caloric goals), I was starving again after about an hour of eating it.
- I eventually learned that the sodium content in one of those sandwiches accounted for approximately 50% of the recommended daily intake. That was waaaayyyyy too much sodium for one meal!
So, I switched back to my go-to breakfast: oatmeal and peanut butter. But I would be lying if I said I did not miss the flavor and convenience of having that egg and sausage sandwich. 4
After thinking about that experience I decided to make my own healthy version of an egg and sausage sandwich. I came up with a homemade rosemary apple turkey sausage served with scrambled eggs and mashed avocado between sweet potato slices. The elements of this sandwich can be made it advance (even frozen) and then quickly assembled in the morning or the night before.
For this recipe, one serving is equivalent to two sandwiches; each serving has 313 calories, 26 grams of protein and only accounts for about 20% of your daily sodium intake. What I like the most about these sandwiches is that you’ll remain satisfied for a much longer period of time than if you had one those 500-calorie, sodium-loaded fast food chains breakfast sandwiches.
Prep time: 10 minutes . Cook time: 15 minutes . Yield: Serves 5
1 Apple, peeled, shredded or finely chopped
1 Lbs Ground Turkey (93/7)
2 Cloves Garlic, grated
1 Tbsp Honey (optional)
1/2 Tbsp Rosemary, minced
1 Tsp Thyme leaves
1/2 Tsp Sage, minced
1/4 Tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1/4 Tsp Smoked Paprika
1 Tsp Kosher Salt
Dash of ground nutmeg, clove and cayenne pepper
Other Sandwich Ingredients
1 Large sweet potato
1 Haas Avocado, mashed
Rosemary Apple Sausage
1. In a large bowl, combine salt, spices, herbs, garlic and ground turkey. Mix well and refrigerate covered for up to 24 hours.
2. Mix in apple, then form into 10 patties.
3. Heat a non-stick skillet medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Cook patties until juices run clear and no longer pink inside (about 3-5 minutes per side).
Sweet Potato Toast
Slice a large sweet potato into 1/4″ to 1/2″ thick slices. Bake at 400F for 20 minutes, then toast when you’re ready to eat.
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium. Spray with cooking spray and cook scrambled eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Toast baked sweet potato slices and set aside.
3. Assemble sandwiches by first placing scrambled eggs on toast, followed sausage and then a portion of avocado. Make up to 10 sandwiches (5 servings).
Sausage Nutrition per serving (2 patties): 160 Cals; 9g Carb; 6g Fat; 18g Protein; 1g Dietary Fiber
Sandwich Nutrition per serving (2 sandwiches): 313 Cals; 24g Carb; 15g Fat; 26g Protein; 4g Dietary Fiber
Nutrition calculated using the MyFitnessPal Recipe Importer