It’s been awhile since I’ve made a kale salad. Oftentimes, I steam or braise my kale, but this time I was in the mood for a salad. Now here’s an important tip for making your kale salads.
Kale is a hearty green, which is part of the reason why I love it. However, I can not count the number of many times I’ve been served a kale salad only to have to work extra hard to chew the tough leaves. The key to addressing this issue, is to massage the leaves. If you’re not massaging your kale leaves for salads then you’re missing out big time. Massaging the kale softens the leaves and makes it more enjoyable and much easier to eat.
If you really enjoy the spicy thai peanut flavor profile of this recipe, you’ll probably also enjoy my Chicken Meatballs in Peanut Sauce, Spicy Thai Chicken Peanut Zoodles or Thai Tofu Salad Jar (Vegan).
For now, just try this recipe and let me know what you think.
Prep Time: 15 mins . Yield: 5 Servings
1 1/2 Lbs Cooked Boneless Chicken
1 Medium Carrot, sliced or grated
1 Red Bell Pepper, sliced
1 Lb Kale, washed
Sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
1/4 Cup Peanut Butter
Juice from 1 Lime
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp Honey, Agave or Sugar
1 Tsp Sesame Seed Oil
Red Pepper flakes to taste
1. Remove ribs from kale leaves using a knife or by wrapping your thumb and index finger around the base of each leaf (with the stem on the side of your palm) and then pulling the leaf through. Coarsely chop the leaves and place in a large bowl. Massage the kale for about 1 to 2 minutes until the leaves are softer and a brighter shade of green; don’t be afraid to use a little force.
2. Cut/slice the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
3. Combine the chicken, chopped bell pepper and carrot with the massaged kale in the bowl. Toss and set aside.
4. In a small bowl combine the dressing ingredients (excluding the water). Whisk until well combined. Continue to whisk while adding a little water at a time, until you get the desired consistency. I used about 1/4 cup of water.
5. Serve salad topped with dressing.