[ezcol_1third][/ezcol_1third] [ezcol_2third_end]This is an easy to make casserole that’s great with any side. Instead of rice or potatoes, try this colorful vegetarian gluten free dish as your main carbohydrate for a meal. This casserole is also great for meal prep.[/ezcol_2third_end]
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 45 minutes | Yield: Serves 10
2 Cups Unsweetened Almond Milk
1/2 Lb Calabaza, finely grated (approx. 1/2 Cup)
1/2 Lbs Cassava (Yucca), finely grated (approx. 2 Cup)
1/4 Lbs Carrots, finely grated (approx. 1/2 Cup)
1 Cup Yellow Corn Meal
1 Cup Red Bell Pepper, chopped
1/2 Cup Green Onion, chopped
1/4 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 Egg Whites
Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Optional: 1/4 Cup Cheddar Cheese, grated[/ezcol_1third] [ezcol_2third_end]
Quick Tips: Use a food processor to prepare the cassava, calabaza and carrots. Squeeze out any excess liquid from the grated cassava.
1. Preheat oven to 375 F and prepare water bath; lightly coat casserole dish with cooking spray.
2. Combine vegetables, corn meal, salt, black and cayenne pepper in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
3. Add egg whites and almond milk to vegetable mixture and mix thoroughly.
4. Spoon mixture into a casserole dish and top with grated cheese.
5. Bake covered in water bath for 25 minutes; remove cover and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
6. Let casserole cool before cutting.
Nutrition per serving (without cheese): 110 Cals; 23g Carb; 1g Fat; 3g Protein