I recently noticed that in this meal prep gallery post from years ago I included breaded chicken in the meal, but I didn’t have a recipe for it…until now. Sometimes this way of preparing chicken is called “oven fried” chicken.
This recipe is perfect for meal prep or a chicken midweek meal for you or your family. You can make it your own by using your favorite spices or different cuts of chicken.
In my recipe we used eggs as the base to adhere the breadcrumbs to chicken. As a substitute for the eggs, you can consider using buttermilk or a light coat of mayonnaise or Greek yogurt. You can also use non-dairy substitutes like ketchup, BBQ sauce or tomato sauce; however keep in mind with these substitutes, the flavor of the ketchup, BBQ sauce or tomato sauce will be noticeable in the final dish which may or may not be an issue for you depending on how you plan to serve the chicken.
Try this recipe and let me know what you think.
Spicy Baked Breaded Chicken
- Baking Sheet
- Foil or Parchment Paper
- 2 1/2 Lbs Chicken Legs & Thighs bone in, skin removed
- 2 Cups Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 3 Eggs
- 1 to 2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Poultry Seasoning
- Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- Season chicken with the poultry seasoning, half of the cayenne pepper, salt and black. Let chicken marinate at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Combine the remaining spices and breadcrumbs together in a bowl. In another bowl, combine the eggs and BBQ sauce (optional); beat lightly.
- Coat chicken in flour; shake off excess. Dip the pieces of chicken in the egg mixture and dredge in seasoned breadcrumbs. Place chicken into a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or lightly greased foil.
- Bake at 400 F for 45 minutes. Enjoy warm with your favorite sides.