I am constantly experimenting with different ways to prepare chicken even though I may not always share the results with you. This dish is the outcome of some recent experimenting. Initially, I planned to use a pan-roasting method to prepare a few chicken legs but it was too hot in New York City so I refused to switch on the oven. Instead I made the entire dish on the stove-top. The results were moist chicken legs and a flavorful white wine sauce. This gluten-free dish is also very high in Vitamin A; one serving accounts for 94% of the recommended daily value of Vitamin A.
For the veggies, I used bell peppers, zucchini, celery and carrots however you can use almost any combination of vegetables. I also tried it with mushrooms and cherry tomatoes in place of the zucchini and bell peppers (see picture below). I recommend having this dish with sauteed spinach and some quinoa or rice.
Prep Time: 10 minutes . Cook Time: 45 minutes . Yield: Serves 6
6 Chicken Legs, skin removed
2 Medium Carrots, chopped
2 Stalks Celery, chopped
4 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
1 Zucchini, chopped
1 Cup Shallots, chopped
1 Cup Vegetable Broth
1/2 Cup White Cooking Wine
2 Sprigs Thyme
2 Sprigs Rosemary
Salt and Black Pepper to taste
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1. Season chicken with salt, pepper and paprika; feel free to also add any other poultry seasoning you like. Let chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes.
2. In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken for about 5 minutes on each side until a rich medium brown on the outside; the chicken should not be fully cooked. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
3. In the same skillet, add celery, shallots and garlic; cook until shallots are translucent.
Pour in white wine and broth, while at the same time scraping the brown bits from off the base of the pan.
4. Return chicken along with carrots, bell peppers, thyme and rosemary to the pan. Cover and cook in oven for 30 minutes until chicken is cooked. During the last 5-10 minutes of cooking, at the zucchini.
5. Serve chicken with vegetables and some of the sauce.