Here’s a quick one sheet pan meal you can quickly make for meal prep or just a weeknight dinner.
Roasting a whole chicken (or two) can be a great way to save time and money when cooking for you or your family. A whole chicken can easily provide you with enough protein for 5 to 9 meals depending on the size. And by spatchcocking your bird you can save a lot of time during the roasting process. Check out the video below for how to spatchcock your bird.
Try this recipe and let me know what you think.
Prep Time: 10 mins . Cook Time: 45 mins . Yield: Serves 5
1 Whole Chicken
1 Lb String Beans, trimmed
1/2 Lbs Carrots, sliced
1 Bell Pepper, sliced
1+ Tbsp Olive Oil
8 Sprigs Thyme
Poultry Seasoning (see below my marinade)
Chili Powder to taste
Black Pepper to taste
Salt to taste
Poultry Marinade (Optional)
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
6 Cloves Garlic
6 Sprigs Thyme
1 Tsp Honey
1 Tsp Black Pepper
1/2 Tsp Smoked Paprika
1/2 Tsp Chili Powder
1/4 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
Salt to taste
In a small food processor, combine poultry marinade ingredients and blend until smooth. Or, mince garlic and thyme and combine with other ingredients in a bowl.
Chicken and Vegetables
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. Spatchcock chicken (watch this video for guidance on this step): Using a pair of meat scissors remove spine from chicken. Use a knife to score the inside plate of the chicken. Turn the chicken breast side up; forcefully push down on the breast to flatten the chicken.
3. Generously season chicken with poultry seasoning or poultry marinade. Be sure to season inside the cavity and under the skin where possible. Marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
4. Cover a large sheet pan with parchment paper. Add bell peppers and carrots. Drizzle about 1 tablespoon of olive oil on veggies and season with salt, black pepper and chili powder; toss veggies. Make room in sheet pan for chicken. Place chicken in sheet pan and brush with olive oil if your seasoning was oil free. Place sprigs of thyme under chicken and under skin near thighs.
5. Roast veggies and chicken uncovered for 25 minutes at 425 F. After 25 minutes, add string beans and toss with carrots and bell peppers. Return pan to oven roast for another 20 to 25 minutes until chicken is golden brown and the internal temperature is 165 F.
6. Serve warm with your favorite sides like brown rice.
Note: If sheet pan is not large enough to fit string beans, roast them separately in another sheet pan for 25 minutes.