Check out the latest addition to the breakfast recipes. It’s my lemon poppy seed waffles with some coconut flavor. They’re pretty straightforward to make. And, if you use gluten-free oat flour, they’ll be gluten free as well. Try them and let me know what you think.
Prep Time: 5 minutes . Cook Time: 15 minutes . Yield: Serves 2
1 Cup Oat Flour (use gluten-free oats if necessary)
1/2 Cup Full Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
1 Tbsp Poppy Seeds
1 Tbsp Coconut Extract
1 Tbsp Honey (or sweetener of your choice)
1/2 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Large Egg
Zest from 2 lemons
Juice from 1 lemon
Pinch of salt (optional)
Blueberry Compote Topping
8 Oz Blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1 Tbsp Honey
2 Tbsp Water
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
Dash of cinnamon
1. Heat waffle maker.
2. In a bowl, combine dry waffle ingredients: oat flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Mix well and set aside.
3. In another bowl, combine wet waffle ingredients: yogurt, coconut extract, honey (or another sweetener), egg, lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix well.
4. Pour wet ingredients into bowl of dry ingredients. Mix until all ingredients are well combined. Batter will be thick.
5. Lightly coat waffle maker with cooking spray. Scoop about 1/4 cup of batter into center of hot waffle maker. Close and cook waffles until golden brown; approximately 3 to 4 minutes per waffle. Repeat until batter is finished.
6. Enjoy with your favorite toppings or with the blueberry compote
For blueberry compote: Combine blueberry compote topping ingredients into a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat for about 8 minutes until blueberries are soft; stir occasionally. Serve warm with waffles. Makes 2 servings.