This stir fry is a quick and easy way to add vegetables to your meals. You can use your preferred protein; in this recipe we added tofu. Try this recipe with any of our rice or quinoa dishes. If you like this stir fry, you will also enjoy our pineapple snow pea stir fry.
Prep time: 10 minutes . Cook time: 15 minutes . Yield: Serves 5
14 Oz Firm Tofu
2 Cups String Beans, trimmed
1 Cup Bell Peppers, sliced
1 Cup Carrots, sliced
1 Cup Baby Portobello Mushrooms, sliced
1 Cup Red Onions, chopped
1/2 Cup Green Onions, chopped
1 Tbsp Ginger, minced
1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
Sesame seeds and chopped green onions for garnish
Salt & pepper to taste
Stir Fry Sauce
1/4 Cup Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar or Honey
2 Tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
2 Tsp Arrowroot Powder or cornstarch
1 Tsp Ground White Pepper
1/4 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
Salt & Black Pepper to taste
Press Tofu (optional): If time permits, place block of tofu between pieces of paper towel and rest tofu on cutting board or plate. Then place a flat weighted surface on top of tofu. Leave weight on tofu for at least 30 minutes so that the excess water is squeezed out of the tofu.
1. Cut string beans into 1-inch to 2-inch pieces. Blanch string beans and set aside.
2. In a small bowl combine stir fry sauce ingredients; whisk thoroughly and set aside.
3. Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes. In a large non-stick wok or skillet heat 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook until golden brown on all sides; stir occasionally to ensure even browning. Remove tofu and set aside.
4. In the same pot heat the remaining oil. Add onions, garlic and ginger; cook for about 2 minutes. Add remaining uncooked vegetables (omit string beans for now) and cook for 5-10 minutes.
5. Add string beans, tofu, green onions and stir fry sauce. Cook for about 2 minutes until sauce thickens; toss to ensure all ingredients are evenly covered with sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
Nutrition per serving: 178 Cals; 17g Carb; 8g Fat; 10g Protein; 4g Dietary Fiber
Nutrition calculated using the MyFitnessPal Recipe Importer