[ezcol_1third][/ezcol_1third] This recipe is a naturally sweet one! Ripe plantains are usually fried and the additional grease adds unnecessary fat and guilt to them. So, instead of frying try baking your ripe plantains in orange juice. You’ll get to enjoy all the sweetness without the guilt or fat. This recipe is gluten-free, vegan and, also hassle-free.[ezcol_2third_end][/ezcol_2third_end]
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes | Yield: Serves 5
1 Lbs Plantains, very ripe (about 3 plantains)
1/2 Cup Orange Juice
1/2 Tbsp Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp Orange Zest
1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/8 Tsp Nutmeg
Salt to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 F degrees.
2. Peel plantains and then cut in half–cut the length of the plantains in half. Then slice the halved plantains, along the length, into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick slices.
3. Lightly coat baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange sliced plantains in baking dish; ensure that there is no overlap.
4. Combine remaining ingredients (except cooking spray) into a bowl and mix thoroughly; pour orange juice mixture over plantains.
5. Bake for about 40 minutes until the plantains are a nice golden brown.
Nutrition per serving: 125 Cals; 32g Carb; 0g Fat; 1g Protein